Losec (Omeprazole Magnesium)
What is Losec (Omeprazole Magnesium) used for?
Losec (Omeprazole Magnesium) decreases the quantity of acid that the stomach produces. It belongs to a class of medications known as proton pump inhibitors. Conditions it is used to treat include Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and ulcers. It is sometimes given together with other medications to treat gastric ulcers caused by helicobacter pylori, and may also be given to patients to prevent frequent heartburn.
How should I use Losec (Omeprazole Magnesium)?
Losec (Omeprazole Magnesium) capsules should be swallowed whole, with a glass of water. These capsules are normally taken 1 hour before meals. The exact dosage varies for each patient, and you will need to consult your physician to determine the correct dose. Never exceed the dose prescribed by your physician.
What are the side effects of Losec (Omeprazole Magnesium)?
Some side effects of Losec (Omeprazole Magnesium) include:
This medication may cause low levels of magnesium. Symptoms of this include seizures, uncontrolled muscle movements and muscle cramps. Immediately consult your physician if this occurs.
This drug may increase the risk of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea.
There is a higher risk of bone fracture associated with taking this drug. Patients over 50 years of age or those taking it at higher doses or for an extended period of time are at greater risk of this occurring.
Strictly follow all instructions provided to you by your physician or pharmacist while using Losec (Omeprazole Magnesium). Optimum and safe dosage can differ based on the patient and the condition being treated.
As this medication may be unsafe for certain patients, it is essential you always inform your physician if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, as well as if you have any allergies, other illnesses, or ongoing health conditions, and if you are taking any other form of medication, supplements, or herbal products.
Immediately seek emergency medical care if you have any allergic or hypersensitive reaction. Common signs of a reaction include hives, swelling, skin rashes, chest pains, as well as trouble breathing or swallowing.